Sunday, July 3, 2011

Stake Conference talk

So as you all know, today is Sunday which means spiritual quote day! I'm sorry it's so late, I was up in Rexburg from Thursday until early this morning, I woke up early and hopped in the car to be back for church at one. I had the BEST time, and also MANY spiritual and wonderful experiences that I want to share with you, but recently I've felt the need to post a talk that I gave in Stake Conference a few months ago. Yes, Stake Conference... ha ha. Even though it was one of the scariest experiences of my life, it was really a wonderful spiritual experience. So here it is, and I hope you all have had a wonderful fourth of July weekend/Sunday. :)


Olivia's Stake Conference talk, March 6, 2011
About a year ago, my life was not as great as it could have been. I was nearing the end of my senior year, and faced with the normal stresses that every senior faces. Like applications to college, the school musicals, student council, friends, taking extra classes at East Shore, deciding what college to go to, etc. I was noticing as life got more stressful, my priorities were NOT what they should’ve been. Well let me tell you, the Lord knows when and how to answer your prayers. At the same time my life was spinning in utter chaos, our ward got a new Bishop, Bishop Saltzgiver. As he gave his first talk, it was evident that he LOVED the temple. He told us all that he attended with his wife two times a week. I thought to myself, “Two times a week!? How on EARTH does he do that!?” But right after that, my thoughts came to a screeching halt. “When was the last time I went to the temple?”


Truth be told, I had never really been a temple go’er. I would go once, maybe two times a year? But that was it. I being the immature high school student that thought sleep was better than waking up at 4:30 am to attend the temple with my ward did not know the significance of the temple in my life. As Bishop Saltzgiver continued, he repeatedly said how much the temple changed his life and that the weeks he missed, he could tell the difference in not attending. He made a promise that if we made going to the temple a priority in our life, we would receive some of the greatest blessing we can on this earth.

That day I realized that the only way I was going to turn my life around and become a better person would be by attending the temple at LEAST once a month. I thought that was a pretty good goal considering the circumstances I was in. The following week I met with Bishop Saltzgiver to renew my temple recommend. It was during that interview that I realized that once a month wouldn’t cut it. In order to become who I needed to be, I needed to attend once a week. If Bishop Saltzgiver can go TWO times a week, I can at LEAST go once.

I would like to say that I accomplished that goal and I attended every single week after that interview until graduation. But as we all know, it takes a while to make a habit. I tried to attend as often as I could, but I didn’t completely start the goal until June 25th. and I am happy to say, that today, 33 weeks later(now 53), I have attended the temple at LEAST once every week. It wasn’t always easy and there were a few weeks I missed, but I always made them up by going twice the next week.

I absolutely, LOVE the temple! Even though I haven’t gone through the temple yet, going to do baptisms every week is such a special and important part of my weekly routine. I love being able to go and partake of the spirit, receive guidance, to grow spiritually, to perform work for those that weren’t able to receive the gospel on earth, and my favorite reason, to feel at home. I wrote my best friend who is currently serving a mission in Minnesota, and told him that I was going to be speaking to you about temples. There was one thing in that letter that particularly stood out to me, he said, “Is it any wonder why the temple is called the HOUSE of the Lord? It is our chance to return HOME for a small moment so that we can continue to grow and progress towards being able to return home for forever.” It truly is our Heaven on earth!

We are so fortunate to live SO close to as many temples as we do! So why don’t we take advantage of that? President Thomas S. Monson said, “Temples will bless all who attend them and who sacrifice for their completion. The light of Christ will shine on all--even those who have gone beyond.” There is no doubt that this is true. I have noticed such a difference in the way that I feel the spirit in my life since I have started attending every week. The blessings are SO great in attending. In D&C 97:15-16 it says, “Yea, and my presence shall be there, for I will come into it, and all the pure in heart that shall come into it shall see God”. You can truly feel the Lord’s presence from the minute you walk onto the temple grounds.

Now we all don’t have the opportunity to SEE God in the temple, but we can feel, which to me, is better than seeing. Wouldn’t you rather eat a chocolate cake, than look at it? Or maybe you’re like me and prefer cheesecake, or like President Kenison and prefer ice cream. I know I do. The FEELing of the dessert is better than just looking at it. You can truly feel the overwhelming powerful feeling of the spirit from the MINUTE you walk on the temple grounds. Brother Paul Vandenberghe stated:

“Such heavenly enlightenment and blessings are available to each of us.” Being able to be worthy and attend the temple and FEEL of that spirit, is one of the greatest blessings.

This past summer my best friend and I had an unexpected event happen that I now know, had I not been going to the temple and following the spirit to make the needed changes in my life, I would have not been prepared to help him. There were many instances where I could literally feel the Lord helping me to know what to say or do. It was a life changing experience for both my friend and myself. I know that it is only because I was attending the temple every week where I had developed a special relationship with the Spirit, that the Lord was able to prompt me in numerous ways to help my friend.

As President Hinckley stated: “Take advantage of the opportunity of being baptized in behalf of the dead. And then let that sacred experience become an anchor to your lives, that you so conduct yourselves at all times and in all circumstances that, at the proper time, you may secure a special and restricted credit card with the Lord, even a recommend to His holy House, there to enjoy all of its blessings and privileges.” President Gordon B. Hinckley.

I am grateful for this anchor that I now have and look forward to the day when I may receive that special and restricted credit card with the Lord, even a temple recommend to enjoy all the blessings and privileges of the temple. I know that as we all make going to the temple a priority in our life, we will all receive the greatest of blessings. I’m so grateful for the knowledge of temples and to be able to live so close to them. I’m grateful for the overwhelming spirit that I feel every time I attend without fail. I know this is the true gospel, and it is the only way that we can return to our father in heaven and live with him forever. I know that heavenly father answers our prayers, and if we have an open heart he will lead us by the spirit through all trials. He lives and loves us, and by going to the temple we can easily feel, and partake of his love. And I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

.......................and THAT'S a sip of Livi's Lemonade! :)
 
ALSO if any of you are wanting to go to the temple, but have no one to go with? Contact me! I would LOVE to go with you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment